Thursday, September 23, 2010

Turkey, Mandarin Orange, and Walnut Salad




Since I've decided that I definitely want to be a little bit healthier, I decided to just do a simple salad that only took about five minutes to throw together. On the way home from class I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some turkey, mandarin oranges, and walnuts, and then just mixed them in with some romaine lettuce I already had washed and chopped from a salad I made for yesterday's lunch. I also put some shredded Monteray Jack cheese on top that was left over from the casserole I made the other night and drizzled some Italian dressing on top.

I got Hillshire Farm packaged thin-sliced oven roasted turkey breast that was 2/$4 at Stop&Shop. I only picked it up because I was desperate and broke otherwise I probably would've tried to get something with a little less sodium, as that's one of the things I'm trying to watch in my diet. The mandarin oranges were canned Del Monte and I was really pleased with them because I managed to get ones really low in calories and fat with only 6 grams of sugar per serving (I got No Sugar Added whereas the regular kind had 22 grams!!). Sugar is another thing that I'm focusing heavily on because I'm worried my blood sugar has been too high recently. The only bad part of the salad was the walnuts I got. I went to the grocery store with every intention of just getting plane walnuts to top my salad with (nuts are really good for you in small amounts as well as contributing some protein to my diet - which I don't normally get enough of since I'm not a huge fan of meat), but for some reason I could only find glazed walnuts and was really disappointed. I got them anyway because I was having a big craving for walnuts (they're the only kind of nuts I like) and really wanted the specific flavor of them in my salad. So since I knew they were pretty bad for me I only put a very small amount in the salad as you can see from the picture (maybe about seven half-size pieces). The lettuce and celery I used in the salad I got from PriceRite (where I get all of my produce). For the dressing I used was Ken's Steak House Lite Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment