Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin Soup



Hi everybody! :) It's been a pretty long time since I've posted something, sorry about that. Mostly because I've just been kinda lazy haha. You know, it's midterms and I basically lived off my grandparents, ramen, and easy mac for a few days :P

Anyway, last night I made a recipe that sounded good, but I wasn't really sure I was going to like. I kind of thought I might like pumpkin, but I wasn't really sure. I'd never had pumpkin soup before or really anything pumpkin. I've had squash pie and I kinda like it... So I just decided to try it out. It ended up being AMAZING. I actually got my mom to let me make it for a course of our Thanksgiving dinner this year! That's a first, definitely.

The recipe had really simple ingredients, didn't take long, and was very easy. I was surprised. I was even more surprising that the recipe called for coconut milk - and PriceRite HAD IT!

One thing that I didn't like about this recipe was that after the ingredients cooked on the stove, you had to put it in the blender to purée it. That was kind of annoying, but I guess that's kind of a common thing for soups? I'm just guessing because my roommate Katie offered to let me use her soup purée-er that her mom got her for her birthday haha. And my house's blender is probably from the 70s so it just had two speeds and smelled like burnt rubber if you used it for more than 10 seconds :P






Pumpkin Soup
All You Magazine October 2010

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 15-oz. cans pumpkin
  • 1 13.6-oz. can light unsweetened cocounut milk
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:
  • Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and apples, and sauté until tender (about 8 minutes). Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir for 1 minute (mixture will be dry).
  • Gradually whisk in broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 6 minutes. Whisk in pumpkin and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
  • Working in batches, pour soup into blender and lend until smooth. Return to pot to rewarm. Serve hot.

Nutrition Facts (per serving):
  • Calories - 261
  • Fat - 17g
  • Fiber - 8 g
  • Protein - 8g
  • Carb - 25g
  • Sodium - 584 mg


No comments:

Post a Comment