Friday, October 22, 2010

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup




Mmmm yummy! Just looking at this picture I can almost taste it in my mouth. This chicken soup was SO good! I got this from TasteOfHome.com and it boasted that it only took 30 minutes to cook - and it really did. It was so easy and fast, I am definitely going to cook this all the time now. It was perfect because I got a killer cold last weekend and have still been kind of sick all week and everybody knows the best cure for a cold is a nice big bowl of steaming homemade chicken noodle soup!

The recipe called for parsley flakes and bullion granules, but I didn't put either in. I didn't put the parsley in because (if you have been reading my blog, you know full well that) I really don't like any kind of herbs/spices so I always just skip over those parts when a recipe asks for it. I didn't put the bullion granules in... because I forgot to buy them haha. But I guess they weren't all that important because it was super tasty even without them.

One thing I really liked about this recipe is that it was a really good size. Usually when I make recipes (like the pumpkin soup), since I'm only one person, I end up with enough leftovers to feed a small African country after I'm done eating my one serving and end up with soooo much food in my tiny fridge. I had one bowl of this soup and then the rest I could fit in one average-size tupperware container so it'll be great for like one or two more servings and then it's done :) This was especially good because I ended up making another broccoli-chicken casserole (click HERE for the post I wrote about it and the recipe) to eat next week because I remembered how awesome it was last time I made it - so I couldn't take up a lot of room in my fridge with chicken soup leftovers.

Something I learned... Well something I tried new with this recipe is that usually I cube my chicken pretty large (not sure why, I just do) and then end up not liking that aspect of the recipe, so this time I diced the chicken breast pretty small and I definitely liked that, especially for a soup. I'll probably do that for all my recipes now. Since I don't like meat, I guess I should have figured I'd like the one kind of meat I do cook with in as small bites as possible :P







30-MINUTE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
(TasteOfHome.com)

Ingredients

  • 4 cups water
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 3/4 cup sliced celery
  • 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups uncooked egg noodles


Directions

  • In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in noodles; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until noodles and vegetables are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment