Sunday, February 27, 2011

Smoothie Delicious

Today was Sunday so therefore... grocery shopping! I usually try to go on Sunday, and then after that I don't go back until the next Sunday. I try not to go more than once a week in order to save money. My food budget is $50/week and usually I just about make it. This week was an exception, though... I was buying ground turkey for one of this week's recipes as well as a lot of pantry staples and fresh fruit. I went over by almost $25 :( Next week I'll make up for it.

I just bought a new blender off Amazon so I can't wait to use it! Mangos and avocados were $1 each and frozen fruit was 2/$4.

Tonight Brent's mom made a turkey dinner with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes. It's definitely not something I would normally eat... but it's also something I love, so I indulged just this once! ;)



After getting all the yummy fruit at the grocery store, I was craving a smoothie, so I decided to use Brent's. I added a little bit of fiber powder (about half of what's shown in this container)


and some vanilla whey protein powder ($14.99 from CVS). I used one scoop for the smoothie I made for Brent and I to share, but it was still too much. Next time I'll use 1/4 of a scoop. Each scoop is 140 calories and 25 grams of protein, which is way more than enough for me so cutting it down won't be a problem.


It came out so yummy!


My ankle is not too much better today. I took some painkillers, raised it, and iced it a lot, but I can still barely walk. I'm really glad I was able to call out of work because I definitely wouldn't have been able to stand for 7 hours. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Tonight I also am trying a recipe for overnight oatmeal that I got from the blog Kath Eats Real Food that I've been reading lately. Basically, you just put 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, and whatever other extras you want to add in a container. You put the container in the refrigerator overnight and by the morning, the oats have soaked up all the liquid. It's a virtually non-cook oatmeal recipe! Great for those nights I stay at Brent's house and I need a quick breakfast to take with me in the morning.


If you like what you see and never want to miss one of my healthy, budget-friendly recipes again... don't forget to subscribe! (top right)

No comments:

Post a Comment