Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Avoado Oatmeal & Sautéed Chicken Salad

Sorry I didn't post yesterday! I accidentally left my laptop at work so I couldn't upload my pictures from yesterday's breakfast.

Monday
I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting to find out what happened with the leftover 1/4 of my avocado from lunch the other day... and here it is!! Thanks to my favorite blog Carrots 'n' Cake, I got this great idea to add avocados to my oatmeal!




People usually make oatmeal when they're about to eat it, but I simply don't have time to make myself breakfast in the morning... which is why I usually opt for a Zone Perfect bar and a Slim-Fast shake. So for my oatmeal, I'll make it at night, pop it in some tupperware in the fridge, and simply microwave for about two minutes when I'm ready to eat it. This actually works and although it doesn't taste 100% as great as fresh oatmeal does, it's a great substitute when I don't have a lot of time.

Weirdly, you don't even taste the avocado! It adds something nice and healthy to your breakfast, you don't notice it, and it makes your oatmeal this awesome fluffy texture that you don't normally get. Personally, I love adding frozen strawberries to my oatmeal, along with a teaspoon of vanilla extract and just a little bit of maple syrup (usually I add the syrup right before I microwave it... you can taste it more and it helps revive the meal a lot). You can find my original recipe for it here.


Tuesday
For breakfast, I quickly chowed down on a Zone Perfect Fudge Graham bar and a Slim-Fast shake on my way to school. After school, I went grocery shopping. Usually I try to go earlier in the week than Tuesday, but my day off from school/work was Sunday and I worked 8 hours on Monday after physical therapy and classes. I found some really great tips to plan my shopping and save more money while doing it... and it really worked!

Before I went shopping, I looked at Stop&Shop's circular and planned my meals for the week around what was on sale. Besides the grapes and lettuce that I needed to get, I ended up buying some grapefruit, bananas, and blackberries that were on sale, when normally I don't buy fresh produce because it's so expensive. Usually for dinner, I eat a Lean Cuisine at work or eat a turkey sandwich or whatever Brent's mom makes at his house. But one night a week I cook for myself. Usually I make some kind of a chicken and pasta dish because I don't like meat that much except for chicken, and I need protein in my diet. This week, because I looked at the circular, I was able to buy a huge bag of shrimp on sale for $7.99! Normally I spend about $6 on chicken, so I think it was worth the splurge to be able to try something new :)

For lunch, I had a grapefruit with just a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top.


And I had a chicken salad with garbanzo and cannelini beans, with Ken's Lite Ranch dressing. I sautéed the leftover chicken from the chicken and pasta I had last week and ripped the chicken into little pieces after it had cooled.



Since I've been SO bad lately... I definitely needed to finish out the day healthy. For dinner, I whipped up a quick Tuna Fish Sandwich with a side of avocado which was sooooo yummy!! After that, I was still not quite full, so I grabbed a Strawberry Special K bar for the road on my way to Brent's house for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment