Thursday, February 10, 2011

A New Year, A New Healthy Me :)

Lately, my boyfriend and I have been very focused on losing weight. As he's an ex-football player, he has to work very hard to shed the pounds and break his unhealthy eating habits. I'm slightly slimmer but still not at a super healthy weight or my goal weight. I'm not sure what his specific goal is, but I'm hoping to be a size 10 by the summer - right now I'm a 14. I'm hoping this is a realistic goal because over the fall I wasn't trying very hard and lost about 15 lbs and one pant size. I'm very excited to continue my diet this spring and can't wait to see my results in June.

Brent and I have very different ways of going about losing weight. For him, it's all about exercise and sticking to a strict high-protein and low-calorie diet. He nicknames it the "Nazi" diet and sometimes goes to the gym more than once a day. Basically... there is nothing I wouldn't do instead of going to the gym. I hate exercising and it's a pain in the butt to drag myself out of the house all the way down to the gym at URI. If it were more convenient I would do it more because personally I LOVE to swim. The way I'm going out my weight loss is going to be all about having a healthy balance. Inspired by my new favorite blog Carrots 'N' Cake, I want to focus on not completely limiting myself to calorie-counting like Brent but eating healthier in general. This will include smaller portion sizes, more fiber, more green vegetables, more protein, and less carbs.

Already I think I've had a good start. I've found these Zone Perfect Fudge Graham protein bars that I have been eating for breakfast along with a SlimFast Milk Chocolate shake mixed with organic skim milk. (Side note: My gynecologist actually told me that drinking organic milk is tons better for you than regular milk, especially since I have high levels of testosterone in my body). For lunch I've been eating tuna sandwiches.





Miranda's Tuna Sandwich:

- 1 can of tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons Cain's Lite mayonnaise
- 15 red seedless grapes
- tomato
- lettuce
- whole grain bread
- celery salt
- salt

I open and drain the tuna, then stir with mayonnaise until it gets to the consistency that I like. Then I wash some grapes and cut each into half twice and add them to the mixture. Then I mix just a dash of celery salt and a dash of regular salt into the tuna. I add just a little bit of mayonnaise to both slices of bread, because otherwise it's sometimes too hard to swallow, and then add the tuna to the bread. Then I will place 1-2 slices of fresh vine-ripened tomato on top of the tuna and finish with a generous leaf of romaine lettuce. Cut diagonally and enjoy!! :)


Usually for dinner I'll just have whatever I normally would've eaten, just a little bit less. Lately I've had hamburgers, lean cuisines, a tuna sandwich (if I didn't have one for lunch - don't want to overload on the tuna), pasta and meatballs, etc. If I'm still hungry while sitting in front of the TV after dinner (I'm always guilty of this) I'll have a couple miniature Butterfingers or some Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Twists pretzels. Brent and I both made a pledge to seriously cut down on ice cream. I don't even like ice cream that much and I was eating it just because of my sweet tooth! Since we're in this together hopefully we'll be successful since we'd definitely end up dragging the other one down with us if we relapsed.

Lastly, something I've also started doing that I've never really done before is take vitamin supplements. I want to make sure that I'm getting enough of certain things, so along with my prescriptions, at night I take Vitamin C, Potassium, and Cinnamon (claims to help metabolism)




No comments:

Post a Comment